Joel Brittain, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow in Neuroscience
Edwin Chapman Laboratory
Department of Neuroscience
University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.S. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Minnesota-Duluth (2007)
Ph.D. Medical Neuroscience, Indiana University School of Medicine (2012)
I joined the laboratory of Dr. Edwin Chapman following completion of my doctoral dissertation at IU. I am currently working on several diverse research projects related to neurotransmission and vesicular release. Our laboratory is principally interested in the synaptotagmin family of calcium sensing proteins and their role in stimulated secretion. I have identified a novel synaptotagmin interacting protein and am currently characterizing the potential effects this interaction has on neuropeptide and neurotransmitter release. Another project that I am integrally involved in is answering whether botulinum neurotoxins can travel neuron to neuron and hence inhibit neurons distal to the site of initial uptake.
- Brittain JM, Wang Y, Eruvwetere O, Khanna R. Cdk5-mediated phosphorylation of CRMP-2 enhances its interaction with CaV2.2 (2012). FEBS Lett 586(21):3813-8.
- Brittain JM, Wang T, Wilson SM, Khanna R (2012) Regulation of CREB signaling through L-Type Ca2+ channels by Nipsnap-2. Channels (Austin) 6(2): 94-102.
- Brittain JM, Pan R, You H, Brustovetsky T, Brustovetsky N, Zamponi GW, Lee WH and Khanna R (2012) Disruption of NMDAR–CRMP-2 signaling protects against focal cerebral ischemic damage in the rat middle cerebral artery occlusion model. Channels (Austin) 6(1):52-9.
- Brittain JM, Chen L, Wilson SM, Brustovetsky T, Gao X, Ashpole NM, Molosh AI, You H, Hudmon A, Shekhar A, White FA, Zamponi GW, Brustovetsky N, Chen J, Khanna R (2011) Neuroprotection against Traumatic Brain Injury by a Peptide Derived from the Collapsin Response Mediator Protein 2 (CRMP2). J Biol Chem 286(43):37778-37792.
- Brittain JM, Duarte DB, Wilson SM, Zhu W, Ballard C, Johnson PL, Liu N, Xiong W, Ripsch MS, Wang Y, Fehrenbacher JC, Fitz SD, Khanna M, Park CK, Schmutzler BS, Cheon BM, Due MR, Brustovetsky T, Ashpole NM, Hudmon A, Meroueh SO, Hingtgen CM, Brustovetsky N, Ji RR, Hurley JH, Jin X, Shekhar A, Xu XM, Oxford GS, Vasko MR, White FA, Khanna R (2011) Suppression of inflammatory and neuropathic pain by uncoupling CRMP-2 from the presynaptic Ca(2+) channel complex. Nat Med 17(7): 822-829.
- Brittain JM, Piekarz AD, Wang Y, Kondo T, Cummins TR, Khanna R (2009) An atypical role for collapsin response mediator protein 2 (CRMP-2) in neurotransmitter release via interaction with presynaptic voltage-gated calcium channels. J Biol Chem 284(45): 31375-31390.