Daniel S. Albrecht, Ph.D.
Research Fellow in Radiology
MGH/HST Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
B.A. Chemistry, Wabash College (2007)
Ph.D., Medical Neuroscience, Indiana University School of Medicine (2014)
In vivo imaging of CNS disorders using PET/fMRI.
My research involves the use of PET and fMRI scanning to investigate the neuropathology of several CNS disorders, including drug addiction and chronic pain. In particular, I am interested in using PET/fMRI to correlate imaging outcomes (e.g. binding potential, BOLD signal) with human behavioral and physiological characteristics, in order to better understand how brain processes contribute to neurological disorders. Currently, I am involved in several projects using PET/MR to investigate the role of neuroinflammation in chronic pain perception and modulation.
- DS Albrecht, DA Kareken, BT Christian, KK Yoder (2014). Cortical dopamine release during a behavioral response inhibition task. Synapse June 68(6); 266-274.
- DS Albrecht, DA Kareken, KK Yoder (2013). Effects of smoking on D2/D3 striatal receptor availability in alcoholics and social drinkers. Brain Imagin Behav Sept 7(3); 326-34.
- BG Oberlin, M Dzemidzic, SM Tran, CM Soeurt, DS Albrecht, KK Yoder DA Kareken (2013). Beer flavor provokes striatal dopamine release in male drinkers: mediation by family history of alcoholism. Neuropsychopharmacology August 38(9); 1617-24.
- DS Albrecht, PD Skosnik, JM Vollmer, MS Brumbaugh, KM Perry, BH Mock, QH Zheng, LA Federici, EA Patton, CM Herring, KK Yoder (2013). Striatal D2/D3 receptor availability is inversely correlated with cannabis consumption in chronic cannabis users. Drug Alcohol Depend Feb 128(1-2); 52-7.
- KK Yoder, DS Albrecht, DA Kareken, LM Federici, KM Perry, EA Patton, QH Zheng, BH Mock, S O’Connor, CM Herring (2012). Reliability of striatal [11C]raclopride binding in smokers wearing transdermal nicotine patches. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging Feb;39(2):220-5.
- A Anand, G Barkay, M Dzemidzic, D Albrecht, H Karne, Q-H Zheng, GD Hutchins, MD Normandin, KK Yoder (2011). Striatal Dopamine Transporter Availability in Unmedicated Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disorders Jun;13(4):406-13.
- KK Yoder, DS Albrecht, DA Kareken, LM Federici, KM Perry, EA Patton, QH Zheng, BH Mock, S O’connor, CM Herring (2011). Test-retest variability of [11C]raclopride binding potential in nontreatment-seeking alcoholics. Synapse Jul;65(7):553-61.