Tatiana Foroud, Ph.D.
Department Chair & Joe C. Christian Professor of Medical and Molecular Genetics
Chancellor's Professor, IUPUI
Director, Division of Hereditary Genomics
Ph.D. Indiana University School of Medicine (1994)
Mapping of genes contributing to common complex disorders.
My research is primarily in the area of mapping genes contributing to the susceptibility for common, complex genetic disorders. These include disorders such as Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, bipolar disorder and alcoholism. These studies often include the recruitment of families afflicted with these disorders followed by molecular genetic studies to detect linkage to particular chromosomal regions. My group is involved with the statistical genetic analysis of molecular data. These analyses include both linkage and linkage disequilibrium methods. The goal is to identify allelic variants which predispose as well as protect individuals from these disorders.
1. Foroud T, FIA Study Investigators. Whole exome sequencing of intracranial aneurysm. Stroke 2013;44(6 Suppl 1):S26-S28.
2. Suttie M, Foroud T, Wetherill L, Jacobson JL, Molteno CD, Meintjes EM, Hoyme HE, Khaole N, Robinson LK, Riley EP, Jacobson SW, Hammond P. Facial dysmorphism across the fetal alcohol spectrum. Pediatrics 2013; 131(3):e779-88.
3. Farlow JL and Foroud T. The Genetics of Dementia. Seminars in Neurology 2013;33(4):417-422.
4. Callahan CM, Foroud T, Saykin AJ, Shekhar A, Hendrie HC. Translational Research on Aging: Clinical epidemiology as a bridge between the sciences. Translational Research 2014;163(5):439-445.
5. Farlow J, Pankratz ND, Wojcieszek J, Foroud T. Parkinson Disease Overview. 2004 May 25 [Updated 2014 Feb 27]. In: Pagon RA, Adam MP, Bird TD, et al., editors. GeneReviews(r) [Internet]. Seattle (WA): University of Washington, Seattle; 1993-2014. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1223/.
6. Wetherill L, Agrawal A, Kapoor M, Bertelsen S, Bierut LJ, Brooks A, Dick D, Hesselbrock M, Hesselbrock V, Koller DL, Le N, Nurnberger JI, Salvatore JE, Schuckit M, Tischfield JA, Wang JC, Xuei X, Edenberg HJ, Porjesz B, Bucholz K, Goate AM, Foroud T. Association of substance dependence phenotypes in the COGA sample. Addiction Biology 2014. doi:10.1111/adb.12153. [Epub ahead of print]
7. Alam I, Koller DL, Canete T, Blazquez G, Lopez-Aumatell R, Martinez-Membrives E, Diaz-Moran S, Tobena A, Fernanedez-Teruel A, Stridh P, Diez M, Olsson T, Johannesson M, Baud A, Econs MJ, Foroud T. High-resolution genome screen for bone mineral density in heterogeneous stock rat. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2014. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.2195. [Epub ahead of print].