Jinhui Chen, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Stark Neurosciences Research Institute
Associate Professor of Neurological Surgery
Adjunct Associate Professor of Anatomy & Cell Biology
M.D., The Southern Medical University, China (1992)
Ph.D., Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Chinese Academy of sciences (1997)
Postdoctoral Fellow, Washington University in St. Louis (1998-2000)
Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard Medical School (2000-2003)
Neuroprotection and Neuroregeneration following Traumatic Brain Injury.
Stem cell research offers unprecedented opportunities to explore fundamental questions of biology and to develop novel medical therapies for debilitating diseases such as injury, neurodegenerative diseases and aging. The long-term goals of my laboratory are to explore the molecular and cellular mechanisms that regulate neurogenesis in the adult hippocampus and to seek the potential of stem cells for repairing neocortical circuitry damaged by traumatic brain injury. We are interested in understanding cellular and molecular mechanisms that are responsible for neural stem/progenitor cell fate determination and development of adult-born neurons in the normal or injured brain. The methods we use to pursue this goal include conditional knockout, primary culture, videomicroscopy (real-time imaging), confocal imaging, virology, histology, biochemistry, and molecular biology.
- Huashun Li*, Jinhui Chen*, Wei wu*, Tanya Fagaly, Lijuan Zhou, Wenlin Yuan, Sophie Dupuis, Zhihong Jiang, William Nash, Carrie Gick, David M. Ornitz, Jane Y. Wu, Yi Rao. (1999) Vertebrate Slit,a Secreted Ligand for the Transmembrance Protein Roundabout, is a Repellent for Olfactory Bulb Axons. Cell, 96: 807-818 *(equal contribution).
- Wei Wu, Kit Wong, Jinhui Chen, Zhihong Jiang, Jane Y. Wu, Yi Rao. (1999) Directional Guidance of Neuronal Migration in theOlfactory System by the Secreted Protein Slit. Nature (article), 400: 331-336.
- Wenlin Yuan, Lijuan Zhou, Jinhui Chen, Jane Y. Wu, David M. Ornitz. (1999) The mouse SLIT family: secreted ligands for ROBO expressed in patterns that suggest a role in morphogenesis and axon guidance. Developmental Biology, 212:290-306.
- JinhuiChen, Wei Wu, Huashun Li, Tanya Fagaly, Lijuan Zhou, Jane Y. Wu, Yi Rao. (2000) Embryonic expression, extracellular secretion, and chemorepulsive activity of Xenopus Slit. Neuroscience, 96: 231-236.
- Jinhui Chen, Leng Wen, Sophie Dupuis, Jane Y. Wu, Yi Rao. (2001) The N- terminal Leucine-Rich Regions in Slit Are Sufficient to Repel Olfactory Bulb Axons and Subventricular Zone Neurons. J of Neuroscience, 21(5): 1548-1556.
- Nicolas O. Fortunel, Hasan Otu, Huck-Hui Ng, Jinhui Chen, Xiuqian Mu, Timothy Chevassut, Xiaoyu Li, Marie Joseph, Charles Bailey, Jacques A. Hatzfeld, Fatih Usta, Vinsensius B. Vega, Philip M. Long, Towia A. Liberman, Bing Lim. (2003) Comment on “Stemness: Transcriptional Profiling of Embryonic and Adult Stem Cells” and “A Stem Cell Molecular Signature” (I). Science. 302, 393
- Jinhui Chen, Sanjay S. Magavi, Jeffrey D. Macklis. (2004) Neurogenesis of corticospinal motor neurons extending Spinal Projections in adult mice. PNAS, 101, 10357-62.
- Polar Attlota, Bradley J. Molyneaux, Jinhui Chen, Jun Inoue, Ryo Kominami, & Jeffrey D. Macklis. (2005) Neuronal Subtype Specific Genes that Control Corticospinal Motor Neuron Development in vivo. Neuron, 45, 207-21.
- Xiang Gao, Polar Attlota, Jeffrey D. Macklis, Jinhui Chen. (2007) Conditional knok-out of b-catenin in postnatal-born dentate gyrus granular neurons results in dendritic malformation. Journal of Neuroscience. 27(52): 14325-14317
- Xiang Gao, Ying Deng, Wongil Cho, Edwards D. Hall, Jinhui Chen. (2008) Selective death of newborn neurons in hippocampal dentate gyrus following moderate experimental traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neuroscience Research. 86(10):2258-2270
- Xiang Gao, Enikolopov Grigori, Jinhui Chen. (2008) Direct isolation of neural stem cells in the adult hippocampus after traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurotruma. 25(8):985-995
- Xiang Gao, George Smith, Jinhui Chen (2009) Impaired dendritic development and synaptic formation of postnatal-born dentate gyrus granular neurons in the absence of brain-derived neurotrophic factor signaling. Experimental Neurology. 215, 178-190
- Xiang Gao, Jinhui Chen (2009) Conditional knockout of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the hippocampus increases death of adult-born immature neurons following traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurotrauma. 26, 1325-1335
- Xiang Gao, Enikolopov Grigori, Jinhui Chen (2009) Moderate traumatic brain injury promotes proliferation of quiescent neural progenitors in the adult hippocampus. Experimental Neurology. 219, 516-523
- Xiang Gao, Jinhui Chen (2011) Mild traumatic brain injury results in extensive neuronal degeneration in the cerebral cortex. J of Pathology and Experimental Neurology. 70(3): 183-191
- Joel M. Brittain, Liang Chen, Tatiana Brustovetsky, Xiang Gao, Nicole M. Ashpole, Sarah M. Wilson, Andy Hudmon, Fletcher A. White, Nikolay Brustovetsky,Jinhui Chen, and Rajesh Khanna. (2011) Neuroprotection against traumatic brain injury by a peptide derived from the collapsin response mediator protein 2 (CRMP-2). J Biological Chemistry. 286(43):37778-92
- Xiang Gao, Ping Deng, Zhao C. Xu, Jinhui Chen (2011) Traumatic brain injury causes acute dendritic and synaptic degeneration in hippocampal dentate gyrus PlosOne. 6 (9), e245666-e24566.
- Chandler L. Walke, Melissa J. Walker, Nai-kui Liu, Emelie C. Risberg, Xiang Gao, Jinhui Chen, and Xiao-Ming Xu. (2011) Bisperoxovanadium promotes neuroprotection and functional recovery after cervical contusive spinal cord injury: a possible mechanism involving Akt/mTOR activation. PlosOne 2012;7(1):e30012. Epub 2012 Jan 10.
- Hongzhen Zou, Liang Chen, Bingde Luo, Jinhui Chen (2012) Moderate traumatic brain injury triggers rapid necrotic death of immature neurons in the hippocampus. J of Pathology and Experimental Neurology. 71(4): 348-59.
- Xiang Gao, Jinhui Chen. (2013) Moderate Traumatic Brain Injury Promotes Neural Precursor Proliferation Without Increasing Neurogenesis In The Adult Hippocampus. Experimental neurology. 239: 38-48
- Jianguo Hu, Xiaofei Wang, Linxiao Deng, Naikui Liu, Xiang Gao, Jinhui Chen, Fengcheng Zhou, Xiao-Ming Xu. (2013) Co-transplantation of glial restricted precursor cells and Schwann cells promotes functional recovery after spinal cord injury. Neural Transplantation. 22(12): 2219-36
- Jinhui Chen, Yiwen Ruan, Kwok Fai So, Xiao-Ming Xu. (2014) Dipping cells in acidic bath could make stem cells. Neural Regeneration Research. 9(6):575-576
- Jennifer Romine, Xiang Gao, and Jinhui Chen. (2014) Controlled Cortical Impact Model for Traumatic Brain Injury. Journal of Visualized Experiments. 2014 Aug 5;(90):e51781.
- Jinhui Chen, Libing Zhou, Su-yue Pan. (2014) A brief review of recent advances in stem cell biology. Neural Regeneration Research. 9(7):684-687
- John RG Perry, Felix Day, …Jinhui Chen… (2014) Parent-of-origin specific allelic associations among 106 genomic loci for age at menarche. Nature 514, 92-97.
- Shaun W Carlson, Sindhu K Madathil, Xiang Gao, Jinhui Chen, Kathryn E Saatman. (2014) Conditional Overexpression of Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 Enhances Hippocampal Neurogenesis and Restores Immature Neuron Dendritic Processes After Traumatic Brain Injury. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology. 2014 Aug;73(8):734-46
- Jinhui Chen, RIyi Shi. (2014) Current Advances in Neurotrauma Research: Diagnosis, Neuroprotection, and Neurorepair. Neural Regeneration Research. 9(11):1093-1095
- Xiang Gao, Haiyan Wang, Shanbao Cai, M. Reza Saadatzadeh, Helmut Hanenberg, Karen E. Pollok, Aaron A. Cohen-Gadol, Jinhui Chen. (2014) Phosphorylation of NMDA 2B S1303 in Human Glioma Peritumoral Tissue: Implications for Glioma Epileptogenesis. J of Neurological Surgery. 37(6):1-8.
- Jennifer Romine, Xiang Gao, Xiao-Ming Xu, Kwok Fai So, Jinhui Chen. (2015) The proliferation of amplifying neural progenitor cells is impaired in the aging brain and restored by mTOR pathway activation. Neurobiology of Aging. 36, 1716-1726.
- Shu Zhao, Liang Chen, Xiang Gao, Weiren Dong, Jinhui Chen. (2015) The Role of 7,8-Dihydroxyflavone in Preventing Dendrite Degeneration in Cortex After Moderate Traumatic Brain Injury. Molecular Neurobiology. March 24 Epub ahead of print. PMID: 25801526.
- Xiang Gao, Haiyan Wang, Karen E. Pollok, Jinhui Chen, Aaron A. Cohen-Gadol. (2015) Activation of Death-Associated Protein Kinase in Human Peritumoral Tissue: A Potential Therapeutic Target. J of Clinical Neuroscience. Accepted.
- Liang Chen, Xiang Gao, Shu Zhao, Weipeng Hu, Jinhui Chen. (2015) The Small-Molecule TrkB Agonist 7, 8-Dihydroxyflavone Decreases Hippocampal Newborn Neuron Death After Traumatic Brain Injury. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology. June; 74(6); 557-67.
- Shu Zhao, Alex Yu, Xiaoting Wang, Xiang Gao, Jinhui Chen. (2015) Post-injury treatment of 7,8-dihydroxyflavone promotes neurogenesis in the hippocampus of the adult mouse. Journal of Neurotrauma. Resubmitted.
- Xiaoting Wang, Xiang Gao, Stephanie Michalski, Shu Zhao, Jinhui Chen. Traumatic Brain Injury Severity Affects Neurogenesis in Adult Mouse Hippocampus. Journal of Neurotrauma. Resubmitted.
- Xiang Gao, Xiaoting Wang, Wenhui Xiong, Jinhui Chen. In vivo reprogramming reactive glia into iPSCs to produce new neurons in the cortex following traumatic brain injury. Scientific Reports. Revising.
- Xiang Gao, Xiaoting Wang, Wenhui Xiong, Jinhui Chen. (2016) In vivo reprogramming reactive glia into iPSCs to produce new neurons in the cortex following traumatic brain injury. Scientific Reports. Resubmitted.
- Xue-feng Ding, Xiang Gao, Xin-Chun Ding, Ming Fan, Jinhui Chen. (2016) Postnatal dysregulation of Notch signal disrupts dendrite development of adult-born neuron in the hippocampus and impairs learning and memory. Scientific Reports. Resubmitted.
- Sara Ibrahim, Weipeng Hu, Xiaoting Wang, Xiang Gao, Chunyan He, Jinhui Chen. (2016) Traumatic Brain Injury Causes Aberrant Migration of Adult-Born Neurons in the Hippocampus. Scientific Reports. Resubmitted.
- Xiaoting Wang, Jinhui Chen. (2016) Neurogenesis after traumatic brain injury. Proceedings of Neurosciences. Under review.